Search DC to White Light

Sunday, February 1, 2015

A Look at the Big Game



I think the only reason I sat down to watch the Super Bowl® was so I could write this.  Turns out it was a doggoned good game.  I didn’t have a horse in the race so really didn’t care.

OK, maybe I was a little put off by Richard Sherman.  Hey, man.  When you’re talking to the media, you’re talking to your fans…you know…those folks that plunk down those green pieces of paper for tickets, broadcast packages, advertised products, merchandise and the like.  The green pieces that you stuff in your pocket to the tune of $56,000,000.  So to hell with whatever other issues you have.  Talk to your fans.

I won’t recount the game except for a couple of comments.  First, if New England hadn’t won, Brady would probably have been run out of town for throwing the first half interceptions.  Second, the fight following the second-last play undid all of the “PSAs” (quotes around the term because they weren’t public service announcements as much as the NFL trying to trowel over its problems) they ran the entire night.

Halftime?  Interesting.  Katy Perry?  OK.  Execution?  Good but no Chinese Olympics Opening Ceremonies.  Let’s call it superficial and leave it at that.

As for the commercials, well, anyone remember Charlie Harper’s line in Two and a Half Men when he’s trying to explain why the commercial music business is in the dumper.  It was something along the lines of, “Hey, why should someone hire me to do music for a new tampon commercial when they can just go buy ‘Stuck in the Middle with You?’”  The game’s commercials helped prove his theory.  Seemed like I was listening to an oldies station during the breaks as one spot after another relied upon the nostalgia of ‘60s music to create some sort of favorable emotion.

In support of some of my earlier blogs, anyone else notice the number of times the NFL Network was mentioned, promoted, or credited?  Like I say, in a couple of years, who’s gonna need a “channel”?

Beyond that, nothing blew my socks off.  Not as many “reveal” spots trying to hide their actual sponsorship till the last two or three seconds so someone must have read my blog from a past Super Bowl.  Maybe the Doritos Flying Pig moved the needle a bit if you forgive the mediocre effects but the promos for The Blacklist scored higher in my mind than any of the spots.  I’m just sayin’.

And all you newcomers, hoping to stake your company’s claim to fame by blowing 2 to 4 million dollars, you didn’t.  None of you.  But they may have some parting gifts for you.  Maybe a ballpoint pen or Super Bowl XLIX mug or something.

No comments:

Post a Comment